Tuesday, April 27, 2010

who, what, where?



The first pieces have arrived !! Excellent - keep sending them.

Here is someones reaction to UNDER WHERE. This is what I am exploring - how do you feel about your underwear? The reactions are so interesting to me.... how I feel about my own underwear & what is this about who I am as a woman/human.

I invite you to keep sharing your reactions and participate in the UNDER WHERE conversations. These conversations will lead to the art piece, each part of the conversation is like a tone or a hue or even that special texture of the piece.


Well, I'll try to explain what happened in my mind while I read about your project. I went from, 'wow, sounds great' to 'Oh! I'm not sure if I'll do it'. It really raised a lot of questions! First I pictured one of my used underwear and felt really embarrassed about the possibility of someone else looking at it, feels terrible! Why? Because 'someone' (perhaps family and culture) taught me this body fluids are dirty and should be hidden.

Actually, I don't think it is pleasant to acknowledge that these substances came out of my body. I don't want to feel dirty.

Also, I've learnt the colour and texture can reveal a lack of hygiene or an illness, so the more invisible or the less noticeable they are, the better, the cleaner and healthier I am.
The fact that it comes from inside the body makes it very intimate.

Wow! So, why is it that I wouldn't feel that challenged if you were asking for uses tissues?
I've never thought about any of these things!

I guess it has to do with the way societies and cultures have condemned sexuality too, specially amongst women.

M

No comments:

Post a Comment